Why I Moved from Gmail to Proton Mail — and How I Set Up a Custom Domain
I did not switch email because I suddenly became a privacy purist. I switched because I wanted more control over something I use every day, and a custom domain made that decision feel much more permanent.
I wanted more ownership over my email identity and less dependence on one provider’s ecosystem.
I moved my primary email workflow to Proton Mail and connected it to a custom domain.
I now have an email address I control, with cleaner separation between my identity and any single platform.
Why I Wanted to Move Away from Gmail
Gmail is convenient. That is the honest starting point. It is familiar, fast, and deeply integrated with a lot of the tools people already use. For years, that convenience was enough for me.
Over time, though, I started thinking more seriously about digital ownership. The issue was not that Gmail stopped working. The issue was that I did not want my primary email identity to feel permanently tied to one company.
Email is not a small account. It is the center of everything else. It is tied to bank accounts, job applications, logins, password resets, newsletters, receipts, and personal communication. When one inbox becomes that important, it starts to feel less like an app and more like infrastructure.
Why Proton Mail Made Sense to Me
Proton Mail appealed to me because the product is built around privacy as the default story, not as a hidden settings page. I liked the idea of using a service that treats encrypted email, account security, and user control as core features.
Just as important, Proton gave me a way to separate my email life from Google without creating a messy, temporary workaround. I was not looking for a novelty inbox. I wanted something I could realistically use as my main home.
What I liked most
The biggest draw was not a single feature. It was the overall direction: privacy-focused branding, serious account controls, support for custom domains, and a cleaner feeling of independence.
What I did not want
I did not want to switch providers only to end up feeling trapped again. That is why the custom domain mattered so much. Without a custom domain, changing providers still leaves your identity attached to someone else’s address system.
Why a Custom Domain Changes Everything
A custom domain is what makes the move actually powerful. Instead of using an address that ends in a provider’s name, you use an address tied to a domain you own.
That means your email identity becomes portable. If you ever decide to leave Proton in the future, you can point your domain to another provider and keep the same address.
| Without a custom domain | With a custom domain |
|---|---|
| Your email identity is tied to the provider. | Your email identity is tied to a domain you control. |
| Changing providers usually means changing addresses. | You can change providers while keeping the same address. |
| Your inbox feels rented. | Your inbox feels owned. |
How I Set Up My Custom Domain
The setup was less intimidating than it first looked, but it definitely helps to understand the basic idea. You are proving that you own the domain, then updating the domain’s DNS records so email for that domain is routed correctly.
Step 1: Buy or use a domain you control
First, I made sure I had a domain registered through a provider where I could manage DNS settings. That part is essential, because the whole setup depends on editing records for the domain.
Step 2: Add the domain inside Proton Mail
Proton Mail guides you through the process of adding a custom domain. The service gives you the DNS records you need to create and explains what each one is for.
Step 3: Verify domain ownership
This usually involves adding a verification record in DNS. Once Proton detects that record, it can confirm that the domain belongs to you.
Step 4: Set MX, SPF, DKIM, and related records
This is the part that feels most technical at first, but it becomes manageable once you slow down and treat each record as a checklist item.
| Record type | What it does |
|---|---|
| MX | Tells the internet which mail servers should receive email for your domain. |
| SPF | Helps specify which systems are allowed to send mail on behalf of your domain. |
| DKIM | Adds a cryptographic signature that helps receiving servers verify outgoing mail. |
| DMARC | Builds on SPF and DKIM to define policy and improve domain protection. |
Step 5: Wait for DNS changes to propagate
This part requires patience. Some changes appear quickly, while others may take longer depending on caching and DNS timing. Once the records are visible, Proton can confirm the setup.
Step 6: Create the address you actually want to use
After the domain was connected, I could create the mailbox identity I actually wanted under my own domain instead of using a provider-branded address.
What the Process Taught Me
Email feels different when you own the naming layer
The most important change was psychological as much as technical. My address no longer felt borrowed. That made the inbox feel more durable and more future-proof.
DNS is less mysterious once you touch it yourself
Before doing this, DNS felt like one of those things people mention in tutorials and then skip past too quickly. After setting up a custom domain for email, the concepts became much more concrete.
The hard part is usually confidence, not complexity
The steps are technical, but they are not impossible. A lot of the fear comes from editing settings that feel important. Once you understand what each record is doing, the process becomes far less intimidating.
What You Should Know Before Doing This
A move like this makes the most sense if you actually value the benefits. If you do not care much about ownership, portability, or privacy, then Gmail may still feel like the more practical choice for you.
But if you want your email identity to outlast any one provider, a custom domain is one of the smartest upgrades you can make.
Was It Worth It?
For me, yes. The move was not just about leaving Gmail. It was about choosing a setup that felt more intentional.
Proton Mail gave me a privacy-focused email home, but the custom domain is what made the whole setup feel durable. That combination gave me something Gmail never really gave me: the sense that my email identity belongs to me first.
Frequently Asked Questions
These are the practical questions that usually come up when people think about moving from Gmail to Proton Mail and using a custom domain.
Do I need a custom domain to use Proton Mail?
No. You can use Proton Mail without a custom domain. The domain matters if you want your email identity to stay portable and not be tied to one provider’s address.
What is the biggest benefit of using a custom domain for email?
The main benefit is ownership. Your address belongs to a domain you control, which means you can move providers later without changing your public email identity.
Is setting up DNS for email hard?
It can feel intimidating at first, but it is usually more procedural than difficult. Once you add the required records one at a time, the setup becomes much easier to understand.
What DNS records are usually required?
Most setups require MX records for mail delivery, SPF for allowed senders, DKIM for signed outgoing mail, and often DMARC for policy and protection.
Will moving away from Gmail break my workflow?
It can create some friction at first, especially if you rely heavily on Google integrations. The move makes the most sense when ownership, privacy, and long-term flexibility matter more than maximum convenience.
Is Proton Mail worth it without the privacy angle?
It still can be, especially if you want cleaner separation from Google and support for a custom-domain-based setup. For many people, the ownership and portability benefits are just as important as privacy.
Conclusion
I moved from Gmail to Proton Mail because I wanted more control over one of the most important parts of my digital life. Setting up a custom domain turned that move from a simple provider switch into a real ownership decision.
If you are thinking about making the same move, the biggest lesson is this: switching email providers matters, but owning your domain matters more.
Raell Dottin
Comments
Post a Comment